Monday, September 10, 2012

My Disappearing Universe


By Susan G Parcheta
(pub. Aug. 17, 2012 at thelivingstonpost.com)
 
Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how. The moment you know how, you begin to die a little. The artist never entirely knows. We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark." ~ Agnes DeMille

Have you ever been gone on a retreat for a week, then come home to find the rest of the world has taken a quantum leap?

It’s puzzling to me. Gone to the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia  for a workshop on Intuitive Heart Discovery with Henry Reed.  My cell phone worked intermittently, as did the Internet. So my attempts to connect with the outer world were random; and the workshop schedule left little time for randomness.

Afternoon rainbow over Blue Ridge mountain meadow
The intensity of the classes threw me into overdrive, leaving little desire to try to catch up on a random basis. Besides, it’s always kind of fun to have a week where you are not totally tied to your TV, iPhone, or laptop.

Fun, maybe, but also funny, in that life has a way of leaping past you during those times. I was missing the second half of the Summer Olympics in London, after all – only getting home in time to watch the closing ceremonies.

The Mars Rover Curiosity big NASA event I missed totally. I felt that I was the one on another planet all week.

And the Detroit Tigers, I wondered what happened to Quintin Berry while I was gone. I think I have it figured out; although it’s not the same watching the games without him sparking the lineup so much now.

Just as well. I’ve scads of things on my end-of-summer to do list.  A little less baseball, a little more writing, and other sundry things.


Suddenly, in the week’s time lapse, old summer (my husband’s description) arrived.  I wasn’t expecting it so soon -- this uneasy feeling you get when you realize summer’s sliding into fall. The leaves on the ferns yellowed while I was gone. My eye catches tiny yellow leaves fluttering down from the trees. I’m not ready for the transition.

Normally, I’d be glued to the Olympics…watching as many events as possible. This year, the games were almost an afterthought. Being gone, not to see them for four more years? No matter. That puzzles me, too.

And, the Rover on Mars. I’ve waited decades for news like this. Yet, that too, seems an afterthought  this summer. I don’t have to be here for the event, I can contemplate the replays, the follow-up.

Baseball. Oh, well. I have other ways now to share my feelings about the sport. Take Me Out to the Ballgame  has a whole other meaning now.
Summer maybe be trying to depart. But, there’s always that invincible summer in my heart that Albert Camus  managed to define in two words. I’ve seasons of words to put together now.

What is it about 2012 that makes things seem topsy-turvy? Maybe it’s the peaking solar flares theory. Well, it’s nice to have something to blame it on.
It couldn’t be that it’s me, turning upside-down/inside-out.  Or maybe it IS me. Maybe I’m looking at my disappearing universe around me, only to discover that the important universe is the one inside me.

Working at finding the balance within me, things seem to blend a little more magically. I like it that way.

The Olympics may come and go. The space events may come and go.  Dare I say politics may come and go? Yet, my world becomes ever more vibrant.  Out there doesn’t ruffle my feathers as much anymore. Yes, I like it like that.

I like where I’m going with this Intuitive Heart stuff. I like the quantum leap I’m taking in my heart, no matter where the world leaps when I retreat for awhile.
Now let’s see what I do with what I’m learning. Where in the universe is Sue Parcheta? Stay tuned. You might be in for a surprise.

Links of Interest
Curiosity  is Here: Earth Sky images of Mars Curiosity Rover
Curiosity NASA Teleconference August 17, 2012
Detroit Tiger Quintin Berry Wikipedia Page
Summer Olympics overview of games

No comments:

Post a Comment